Thursday, October 14, 2010

Feisty Fall Flying




We've reached the middle of October and the flying remains very good. Normally at this time of year staying up is the issue, but that hasn't been a problem yet. On Thursday I sneaked in a lunchtime flight and conditions (while not summer time scale) were remarkably strong - 6 m/s up (1200 ft per minute in old money). If I hadn't had a late afternoon meeting, I'd have tried to go further, but to keep things simple I flew a little tour, landing back in St Andre.

Of course, it's not the same as summertime flying. The hike up is a lot cooler / more pleasant, launch is quieter, generally you launch a little later and cloud-base is lower (2500m on Thursday). And it's colder - I had cold fingers throughout my flight (almost a perennial problem for me) but a 2hr XC at mid-Oct isn't bad!

Unfortunately, I didn't manage my electronic equipment very well - helmet cam left at home, GPS filled up after an hours flying - so I've shown by SPOT track-log!


No comments:

Post a Comment