Saturday, February 19, 2011

A quiet Saturday in the air

During the week, it snowed in St Andre; it didn't stay long in town, but it left the peaks in their winter coat. Saturday's forecasts showed clearly flyable conditions, with sun and low winds. Aeroweb didn't think the thermals would be useable (due to high pressure subsidence), but their forecasts are more oriented to flying gliders on the plains.

I set off later than I intended. A lovely hike up through new snow, a deserted launch, lunch and I was in the air. There were plenty of thermals, though they were a bit broken and hard to center. Top of lift was very low (2200m) and I didn't want to risk a long hike home, so I played it safe. After a while I headed E to the Crete des Serres and soared it for a while. The batteries for my gloves ran out just after 2 hours, and I headed down to land just as a small plane was circling the LZ. Fortunately, there were no 'misunderstandings' and I was glad to land and warm my fingers.

Tracklog but no flying pics!

No comments:

Post a Comment