Saturday, March 5, 2011

A Very Cold Triangle

Every pilot hopes for a good flying forecast on Saturday! Today's fit the bill, so I headed eagerly up the hill. Surprisingly (and a little spookily), launch was deserted but conditions looked great as I ate my lunch. 

Normally at St Andre, you launch and go straight up. Today I spent an uncomfortable few minutes below launch before finding organized lift. Conditions were very nice but it was cold; the views were exceptional. I knew I could only fly for a couple of hours and I wanted to keep the logistics simple. So I decided to fly a little triangle I've flown before; this took me over Le Petit Cordoeil, where I hiked last weekend.

Clouds became more and more of a problem as the day went on. There are many places around St Andre with limited LZs, so this gives fewer escape routes. But a combination of going round some clouds and using a lot of bar below others did the trick. 

The batteries in my gloves gave up after 2 hours; I rushed back to St Andre, landed and spent the next 10 minutes warming my fingers. Considering it's the start of March, a pretty good day - and tomorrow's forecast is even better!

No comments:

Post a Comment