Monday, April 25, 2011

Hiking at Cloudbase

Unstable weather prevailed over the Easter weekend (and is predicted next week too) in the Southern Alps - thanks to a depression near Tunisia. Good weather in the morning, clouds by noon and the risk of big storms by mid-afternoon. Not my cup of tea for flying…

I had a nice hike today along mountains I've flown over before. Clouds were forming and reforming all the time and the view was constantly changing. Almost all of my hike was along ridges, but I had escape options if lightning became a problem. In the end, there was about 60 seconds of light hail but nothing worse. 

I got back to St Andre in the early evening to find people clearing up after a big storm in the afternoon. These things can be a little random, which is why I went hiking in the first place... 


No comments:

Post a Comment