Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Aix, Lavender and Visitors

I've not been flying as much as usual because I've had quite a few (non-flying) visitors lately. Of course, visitors do tend to come in the summer, which - at least from a flying perspective - is a pity. I've flown between the visits but not during them - flying is too intrusive for that. So some gentle hikes, site-seeing, rafting and visiting villages.

One of the main routes to St Andre is via the TGV station at Aix. It's actually outside the town, but it's nice to take visitors into the town center. It's a lovely town and it's small enough that you can see a lot in only an hour. In the center, the main street is Le Cours Mirabeau and if there's a more beautiful street in the world, I've yet to see it. Photos of Aix

I've taken to using a 'scenic route' to drive to Aix. It crosses the Plateau de Valensole, which is famous for its lavender fields. At this time of year, they are magnificent - row upon row of flowers and a wonderful scent. Lavender attracts bees, of course, and the resulting honey is very nice - except when the bees meet my windscreen…

My visitors have gone and the weather this week is beautiful. Warm sun, cool air, deep blue sky, dry and windy - typical mistral conditions and great for everything except flying. 

No comments:

Post a Comment