Sunday, August 28, 2011

Cheval Blanc Weekend


Saturday was clearly non flyable and I went a long hike up Cheval Blanc (2300m, 7500 ft). Wonderful mistral weather - cool, windy, sunny - in fact, it was almost too cold. The only things flying wore feathers, and it was impressive watching them; the vultures were still able to make progress to the North (from their colony near Rougon). 

Sunday was flyable, but the skies were curiously empty. A HG competition has just finished and pilots are arriving for a PG competition, so I expected lots of pilots in the air. But no - I saw many more sailplanes than PG or HG in the air. 

Forecasts indicated a strong inversion and that's how it seemed. I flew onto Cheval Blanc hoping to head further N but struggled to get high enough to warrant continuing. I spent around an hour on the peak, going backwards and forwards looking for good lift. The most I got was 100m over the summit - with views very similar to when I was walking - before calling it a day.


No comments:

Post a Comment