Saturday, February 25, 2012

The End of the Big Freeze

The huge dump of snow we had 4 weeks ago has almost gone. Throughout that period the weather has has been very cold (-23C one night, or -9F) and although the days have been sunny, the (untrodden) snow has stayed soft and powdery until a couple of days ago.

There's been plenty of opportunity for outdoor activities - snow shoeing, XC & downhill skiing, a couple of hike and flies. It's been hard work - one hike took almost 3 times as long as normal. It's also interesting because the snow keeps a record of all the passers by. The only human tracks I've seen on the higher peaks have been mine; I guess not everyone is crazy. Today I saw my snow-shoe tracks of 3 weeks ago. Strangely, they were higher than the rest of the snow, because the compressed snow has melted more slowly.

While it's been lovely, I've had enough of it. Roll on the spring and some proper flying! Fortunately, the last few days have been warmer and spring is obviously just round the corner. I had my first bike ride of the year yesterday and over dressed for it. Today was warm and spring like and I saw my first crocus. Hopefully some decent XCs are just round the corner!

No comments:

Post a Comment