Sunday, April 1, 2012

Being Taunted

When conditions are good at St Andre - especially at this time of year - you often see more sail-planes in the air than paragliders. They certainly eat up the sky and can operate in a much wider range of conditions than paragliders. I've looked on enviously more than once, but this weekend they seemed to be taunting me.

Saturday's forecast looked a little too windy for pleasant flying, but with a great lapse rate. Epic, but too epic for paragliders, at least as I like to fly them. I had a hike in the high mountains - taking advantage of the lack of snow - and thoroughly enjoyed myself. I must have seen at least 15 sailplanes (no paragliders) and they just made it look so easy. Arrive at ridge height, a couple of circles, then onto the next one. All of this in intimidating terrain where I always want a little more height before every transition.

Today was flyable, but not very good. I worked, planning to fly tomorrow. But I sneaked a lunch-time bike ride. I saw a number of paragliders in the air, but just around launch - I didn't see anyone go XC. But I did see around 10 sailplanes over the higher mountains.

Hmmm - I wonder how much they cost?

No comments:

Post a Comment