Saturday, June 6, 2015

Hail Storm

Many summer afternoons threaten to overdevelop in in St Andre. It seldom results in a storm, but - especially when flying a paraglider - it can make you a bit nervous. I've almost always managed to be home safely before any storms started, but today was a bit of an exception. Fortunately I was hiking, not flying!

I had a long, hot hike along the Cretes des Serres to the Pic de Chamatte and back. For the last hour or so, I'd been looking at clouds. One in particular had grown threateningly and then - surprisingly - dissipated, making me feel safer. But, about twenty minutes from home, the thunder and lightning started. It was very loud and very near, but not quite over St Andre. 

I still thought I'd get home dry, but within 5 minutes grape-sized hail was falling - and it hurt! I put all my layers on, but there wasn't anywhere I could really shelter, so I rushed home. Initially, the hail melted quickly, but, as the temperature plummeted, it started laying on the ground. By the time I got home, there were rivers of water and hail running through the streets of St Andre, overwhelming some of the drains. The hail would accumulate in some gutters or on roof tops but then fall in a huge lump. 

Fortunately no-one got hurt - though there was damage to lots of flowers and some cars. A new windsock was completely destroyed. Definitely a good time to be on the ground, ideally indoors! A few pics.



No comments:

Post a Comment