Tuesday, June 28, 2022

HRP Day 3 - Elizondo to Aldudes

The weather is lovely in the morning, I've got an easy day's hiking and I'm headed to a nice hotel in France. I'm definitely in a better mood today than I was yesterday! I have an excellent, leisurely breakfast, explore the town a bit and hit the trail around 11 am. I'm going to follow the GR11 for 3 hours or so and then cut across the border and descend to Aldudes. The route I'll be taking is marked as the HRP on my map but the guidebook describes a different route; there are many versions of the HRP!

View on the climb out of Elizondo on the GR11

It's a pleasant, gradual climb through woods on the GR11 and, given yesterday's weather, it's surprising how dry everything is. Towards the top of the climb I encounter some of the hikers I passed yesterday and we continue together to the border where the scenery opens up, giving great views into the Aldudes valley. I stop for a leisurely lunch and leave them to pursue the hike. After lunch I leave the GR11 and head along a ridge line that soon offers a descent to a road. A long and increasingly hot descent follows and I'm quite relieved when I arrive at the hotel (the St Sylvestre). 

View into the Aldudes valley - my hotel is down there somewhere

Everything in the hotel is very nice. I enjoy a lazy end to the afternoon before an excellent meal. Quite a relief after yesterday's hiking!

No comments:

Post a Comment