Monday, March 30, 2009

Over the back at Cape Look-out


The whole weekend looked too strong for flying. But late on Sunday evening there seemed a tiny window where Cape Lookout might work. Saturday had been such a wet, depressing day that a trip to the beach - even if it was only for a walk - seemed like a good idea. No point leaving early and by lunch time Steve was sending me reports that were in line with the forecast. Dan, Mary-Beth, Mark and I set of in the middle of the afternoon and arrived around 4.30.

We found a couple of hangs in the air and other hangs -including Steve - setting up. The tide and seas were huge and it was a little too strong and a little too W for my speedwing. We went to look at Tierra del-Mar but it was more than 45 degrees cross and strong. Half-way between Tierra del Mar and Pacific City was a little spot facing NW I could have soared in my speedwing, but we were hopeful that CLO would work so headed back.

The hangs had launched, it was still strong but a little straighter, I got my speedwing ready just as the beginnings of a squall formed 3 or 4 miles out to sea. I launched and stayed low and out front, hoping the squall would pass by to the N. It kept changing its mind, but in the end I went out and landed.

Back on launch the squall had passed, it was much lighter and the bags were starting to launch. People were getting high and moving out towards the point. I tried to be patient waiting for my chance. I got off at the back of the bunch, it was slow but steady climbing till I crossed the gap and climbed to 2500 in a single thermal. I was at cloudbase and I could see promising cummies going all the way to Pacific City. Only one way to find out if they gave any lift!

I radioed I was heading south and Mark radioed he was following me. He was a little lower than me and a little behind me, so apart from turning round once or twice, I didn't see him again.

No lift from the clouds, but the first part of the glide was very boaty and it looked as though I had Tierra del Mar on glide. Cape Lookout is easily one of the most scenic sites in Oregon and the scenery over the back was even better - deserted sandy beaches, pine trees and pale blue water.

Mark hadn't fared as well on the glide and radioed he was landing in the big car park before the outlet of Sand Lake. I was targeting the dunes immediately N of Tierra del Mar, hoping that the wind had turned more to the W - but based on my ground speed I wasn't very hopeful. And so it proved; I used the lift to extend my flight, but I couldn't soar. It was a little spooky transitioning from high-altitude flight to ground-skimming; I was hoping that I could get some lift from the rooftops at Tierra del Mar, but I had to face facts and land about 100 yards short of the first house.

Mary-Beth retrieved Mark and then came to get me; Mark was super-excited by his flight. We drove back to CLO just as Deanna and Shannon were landing. Everyone was very happy with their flights - suddenly Monday morning seemed a much more bearable concept!

Flights -> http://www.paraglidingforum.com/leonardo/flight/174197, http://www.paraglidingforum.com/leonardo/flight/174198

Photos -> http://picasaweb.google.com/DMMullin/CLO29March2009#

1 comment: