Monday, March 9, 2009

Stolen Flights at the Ridge

The Ridge is Chehalem, the only site near Portland. It suffers from a few problems...
  1. it faces the wrong direction for summer
  2. when the wind in strong enough to give ridge lift, you risk being blown back
  3. power lines behind launch (see previous point)
  4. a long glide out to the LZ
  5. power lines around the LZ (see previous point)
  6. the wind can be strong on launch but much weaker just below (so, not much lift)
I'm sure there are more problems, but it's near Portland. So we sometimes risk being skunked there when the weather is poor - it's so much more convenient than being skunked at Cliffside!

Sunday was an unstable, spring day. The coast looked promising for someone willing to wait between showers, especially if they flew a hang-glider. I was tempted but it seemed a long shot and I stayed at home.

Mark felt Chehalem might work, Dave reported conditions were good at launch - but all I could see were the negatives. Clouds, hail, showers, etc.... but I was willing to take a chance with a short drive, Mark made the decision, and off we went.

There was snow in the tree-tops when we arrived and a distant shower approaching; it didn't seem very strong at all. After we shuttled a car down, Mark launched and went up in bubbly thermals! Yipee! Dave, John Baldwit (new to the site) and I got ready. As this was going on, Mark experienced one of 'features' of Chehalem; because the LZ is a long glide away, as soon as you are below launch you need to be thinking about heading out. He hit a little bubble of sinky air and he went from 100 over to 100 under in no time at all and had no choice but to head out.

Dave and I launched and had a nice flight; John launched and did the sensible thing for a newcomer and headed to the LZ. Dave and I monitored the approaching shower and enjoyed pleasant thermals that kept us just above launch. It wasn't long before we headed out as the shower got nearer; Dave spiraled down just ahead of me, and we were both surprised how buoyant the air was - I expected a one turn spiral but it took several turns to get down.

Back on launch there were a few flakes of snow but the shower passed to the S. It was as before; not too strong, a little cross from the W, pretty inviting. Mark was the first off again; he didn't get something immediately, but did a good job of working up to the east and came back above launch. We followed him into the air and it was good.

I cored a punchy thermal right off launch and found myself at cloudbase within 60 seconds of launch; big ears and flying out avoided the white room. Mark, Dave and I flew together in some really user friendly thermals until we had to head out; lift was weakening and a new squall was approaching.

We packed up slowly in the LZ, all delighted with our day. Back on launch, it was snowing a blizzard! I haven't checked my log, but I suspect it's nearly two years since I got properly above launch in two flights in a day at Chehalem. All the better because it was so unexpected!

Photos -> http://picasaweb.google.com/DMMullin/Chehalem08March2009#

Track logs -> http://www.paraglidingforum.com/leonardo/flight/165910 and
http://www.paraglidingforum.com/leonardo/flight/165909

No comments:

Post a Comment