Sunday, August 23, 2009

Montclar Hike

The last day of the comp had a poor forecast - stable with high winds - but the idea was to head up to launch in the hope of getting a task in. I hadn't had a real hike at Montclar and I wasn't attracted by the hanging out at launch for either a poor, bumpy flight or a skunk. So going for a hike was an easy decision.

So that's what I did; I set off later than I intended and was probably a bit overambitous in terms of the hike length. But I really enjoyed the hike; most of it was on some high, open ground used for skiing in the winter and for agriculture in winter. I ended up with a nearly 7 hour hike and I was pleased that my ankle tolerated it.

It turns out that they did fly a short task at the competition. The winner was Luc Armant who won the first four tasks and placed high on the last one; a pretty amazing performance. French took the first 4 places. Top Brit was Adrian Thomas who used his X-Alps training to beat the chair-lift in a 'man vs machine' race up to launch. Skipping the last day of the comp dropped my position to 100; I was pretty happy with my flying (once I got round to launching...) though a bit disappointed with my results.

Pics -> http://picasaweb.google.com/DMMullin/Montclar22August#

No comments:

Post a Comment