Saturday, January 1, 2011

Cliff Launch

The weather was beautiful today, so I headed up the Crete des Serres for a hike and fly. As I got higher, the snow got deeper and deeper and progress slowed (sometimes literally) to a crawl. I reached my intended launch point; normally this is a steep launch from a flat set up area. At this time of year the snow forms a big cornice, so it was a cliff launch. 

It was hard finding a point where I could set up safely that wasn't in the rotor. Several times, the rotor pushed my wing towards me and I had to lay it out again. I couldn't set up right on the edge without risking falling through the cornice. Eventually I found a workable spot, inflated the wing, got it nice and stable and jumped off the cornice. I soared the slope briefly, but couldn't quite stay up on my speed wing so ended up landing at La Mure after a short but pleasant flight.

Not too bad a way to start the year - some pics.

No comments:

Post a Comment