Sunday, May 22, 2011

Upgrading the Train de Pignes

The old and the new
The Train de Pignes (link) is a little tourist train that runs 4 times a day from Nice to Digne and back, going through St Andre. Tourists can fly into Nice airport and get to small villages without hiring a car. I often use it to show visitors surrounding villages; you can admire the scenery and have a 'full' french lunch and not worry about driving back. Of course, I also use it for retrieves when I fly my paraglider.

It's more than a tourist thing. It runs throughout the year and for locals without a car (especially in small villages) it's an important mode of transport.

The trains are being upgraded from rather small, old trains to sleek new machines. I rode a new one yesterday, and it was a real delight. Clean, spacious, with plenty of room for luggage and bikes. It's nice to see that level of investment in the local community.

No comments:

Post a Comment