Saturday, September 17, 2011

Big Clouds and Storms

As I'm writing this, it's 7pm and a big storm has just passed through St Andre; the thunder is still rumbling. Every now and then there is a flash of lightening, often accompanied by a two second electricity break. 

The day was predicted to get stormy in the late afternoon, so I had planned on an early flight. The clouds started forming early; growing tall with little cloud caps. Higher up, there were waves of lenticular clouds. After an hour of flying I decided fly over to Maurel from L'Allier (a little transition I've never made before) and land at La Mure.

I got onto the summit of Maurel and there was plenty of lift, big clouds and blue sky. But there was also a great big cloud covering all of St Andre, Meouilles and Chalvet. In a few seconds, it developed vertically and La Mure was also in the shade. I hurried to land and just had got my wing packed before the thunder and lightning started. You can see the cloud growing here

Surprisingly it didn't start raining for another 3 hours; though we had thunder and gusty winds all afternoon. When it finally arrived, it was sudden and heavy. This all worked out very well for the Foire Agricole - and for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment