Friday, August 23, 2013

British Open Practice Day

Cheval Blanc, big clouds
over the Dormillouse

The British Open starts in St Andre tomorrow so launch was busy with pilots hoping for a practice day. As I headed N, I saw a big gaggle ahead and below me, stuck on the Meunier. Great, I thought, lots of thermal markers!

As I headed towards them, they started rising in a thermal. I thought I would get in above everyone, but underestimated the thermal. I was messing around taking pics and by the time I realized I needed full-bar, it was too late. They escaped just before I arrived, the thermal was gone and I was stuck on the Meunier with half a dozen other frustrated pilots.

Sommet de la Sapee
So it took me some time to reach Cheval Blanc. I tried for some time to get high enough to warrant pressing on to the Dormillouse. But it didn't look like a sure thing, I was flying by myself and I didn't really fancy an epic retrieve (it's an easy place to wimp out!). So I flew back to St Andre by a nice little loop - Sommet de la Sapee, Mouchon and Maurel. I could easily have kept flying but I'd had my 'fix' and landed after an entertaining 4 hour flight.
Over Maurel, with the Coyer beyond

No comments:

Post a Comment