Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Amazing Weather Continues

I guess paraglider pilots are always interested in (and seldom satisfied with) the weather, but conditions have just been amazing this spring in the South of France. This morning I was awakened by 50 mph winds and torrential rain in St Andre.

A very strong depression over the Gulf of Genoa looked more like a black hole than a normal weather phenomena on the weather charts. New snow (see snow in may ) and huge waves on the med (see big waves). I couldn't resist looking at the soaring forecast and it was full of terms like 'très mauvaises conditions aérologiques'.

Despite all the wet weather and wind, by this evening it was showery and bracing and very pleasant for a short walk. Blue sky with clouds rushing by at an amazing speed. I walked down to the Verdon (the river that flows through St Andre) and, as usual in limestone country after heavy rain, it looked more like liquid concrete than water.

While I'd like conditions to improve, today was fascinating from a weather perspective and I was glad to be firmly on the ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment