Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Crazy Weather Continues

I flew last Sunday, but I knew the flight would be short; over-development was forecast for the afternoon. I had a nice flight but I spent most of my time monitoring the sky. I landed, got back home, had a cup of tea and then the storms started. Pretty much since then it has been raining. And this isn't Oregon or British style rain (gray drizzle) - this is the real stuff. When it wasn't raining, it was hailing.
There have been terrible floods in this part of France, with at least 19 deaths. Entire houses have been carried away by floods, never mind cars. I went down to the river Verdon this morning, and a bunch of locals had gathered to watch things. The river was more like a pyroclastic flow; full of sediment, with bushes and small trees tumbling down stream. Islands were completely submerged.

Further downstream, in the Lac de Castellane, an island has formed where all these of small trees and bushes have come to rest. Tomorrow looks like the last day of this unsettled time (he says hopefully).


No comments:

Post a Comment