Thursday, June 10, 2010

Fighting the Machine

France is considered one of the most bureaucratic countries in the world. It hasn't gained this reputation by accident. When I did an internet search, the French results were more specific than the English ones. You can get an idea if you look at http://www.parisvoice.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=467&Itemid=28. Somewhere around 30% of the work force are civil servants. If this had produced an efficient, competent administration, that would be one thing, but nothing could be further from the truth. 

Life is full of catch-22 situations like to get an electricity supply, you need a bank account; but to get a bank account, you need proof of residence, which is normally an electricity bill. Telephone bills for addresses in well-off districts in Paris can allow your child to go to "une bonne école" and can be bought and sold; all you need is a bill that matches your family name.  

Anyway, today I managed to persuade a company to take my money and give me a little car in return. It took a lot of sending letters and explaining where I lived; and then proving I live where I say I live; and then resending letters that got lost explaining this. If France were full of nasty people wanting to buy up all its cars for evil purposes, you could understand this. But, of course, French car companies are desperate for people to buy their cars... 

But, eventually, I have a car. Not quite the Porsche I used to drive, but more practical for my current circumstances. With it I have 'provisional' documentation and my next challenge is to convert this into 'real' documentation. It know it won't be easy....


No comments:

Post a Comment