Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Windy Bike Ride

Today's forecast was right on the limit for some epic XC; sunny, relatively dry air and unstable - but the Mistral hadn't completely blown out. A couple of forecasts were optimistic but most weren't. I might have gone up the hill if I had a few more big flights under my belt this year. But even if it turned out to be flyable it was going to be rough, so I took the prudent coarse and went for a bike ride.

Valley winds are just as problematic on a bike as on a paraglider (even if the stakes are a bit lower). Uphill and into the wind, followed by downhill and with the wind behind me. I went over the Col du Defends and found an Andy Goldsworthy sculpture in the middle of nowhere (more details -> http://www.resgeol04.org/andy.html)

As I looped back to St Andre I couldn't help checking to see if there were wings in the air, but I didn't expect to see any and wasn't surprised. I got a shock when passing the LZ, it looked as though a paraglider pilot had just landed. But no, it was a German pilot getting ready to kite; I suggested the wind was a little strong and left quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment