Sunday, June 20, 2010

Le Grand Coyer

This weekend I should have been flying in a competition at La Colmiane, in the high mountains on the Italian border. But it was canceled; after the rain last week, the ground and air are very humid. With the strong summer sun, the sky was 'going nuclear' by mid morning.

Back in Saint Andre, Saturday didn't look like a good flying day; wind a little too strong, too much cloud, so I went for a hike. Le Grand Coyer isn't that high a mountain - 2700m - but it is a long way from any roads, so it's a pretty long day. At the start of the hike the mountain was in the clouds, but it looked as though slightly clearer skies would move in from the NW so I continued anyway.

As I got nearer the mountain, it emerged from the clouds. Snow was a little bit of a problem on the hike - I had to cross a few steep snowfields - but not too serious. From the summit I could see lots of big clouds over near La Colmiane.

I'm writing this on Sunday morning; there are already towering cumulus clouds in the sky and it looks certain to overdevelop. The forecast for Monday looks really good for flying, so I will probably go a bike ride this morning, work the rest of the day and fly tomorrow.

Some pictures http://picasaweb.google.com/DMMullin/LeGrandCoyer19June2010#

No comments:

Post a Comment