Sunday, September 20, 2015

Day 18 - Brunissard to Ceillac - the Queyras

Descending to Chateau Queryas
The region I'm hiking in is called the Queyras. So far, I'd say it is the most attractive part of the hike - the peaks are high and rocky, but the valleys are grassy and the forests are very open. It's also a less busy than the northern alps and the villages are more traditional. Of course, the weather is lovely, so that helps too! 


On the descent to Ceillac
After a couple of hours hiking, I descend through the trees to Chateau Queryas, before a long climb in the heat of the day to the Col Fromage (2301 m). It was a bit of a grind at the start but got more pleasant higher up. The last 30 minutes or so to the col were almost flat with wonderful views in all directions. From the col I had a long descent to Ceillac. There were 3 or 4 paragliders flying over the village but they landed just before I arrived. The village is very nice; although it has become a small ski-resort it is still a real village, with houses, shops, restos and the like. I get installed in a run down hotel (very poor value!) and then have a decent omelette in a resto. 


No comments:

Post a Comment