Thursday, September 24, 2015

Day 22 - St Dalmas le Selvage to Roya - Cash!

Garden near St Etienne de Tinee
This will probably be my easiest remaining day of the hike and the gite I'm heading to will only be open at 17.00, so there's no rush. I dawdle over to St Etienne de Tinee where I need cash! As I descend to St Etienne there are flowers and fruit everywhere - it seems almost tropical after yesterday's snow.

I get the cash and then I want to relax. I had visions of reading the newspaper in a cafe on the village square, discretely admiring pretty girls walking by. Alas, reality was different - the only newspaper shop was closed and the cafes were uninviting, so I continued my hike. After a steep, hot climb I arrived at Auron and found a pleasant but almost deserted ski-resort; I had a leisurely lunch and did some puzzles.  


Looking back to the Pas de la Cavale (U shaped col L of center)
Later in the afternoon I climbed over the Col de Blainon and strolled down to Roya. The gite had been recently refurbished and was very nice; I was the only person staying there, so I was well looked after! 

No comments:

Post a Comment