Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Day 27 - Sospel to Menton - The Med and Home


I started blogging about the hike with a Tour de France analogy and I'll finish it with one. The last day of the TdF is more a celebration than a bike race; it's a day for the riders to savoir and remember. And my last day on the hike was a bit similar - it's a procession to the Med. 

But behind the last day of the TdF, there's an invisible race. Just after the official race ends, many cyclists rush to catch a train or plane for some time with their families. And I have the same problem - I want to get home tonight and I'll have to hurry to catch the last train.


Italy to the L, France to the R, the Med below
So I rush up the first climb to the Col du Razet; it's obvious then I can relax and enjoy my day. At the Col du Berceau Menton and the Med are spread out nearly 1100 m below. I climb onto the rocky ridge that forms the France-Italy border and drink in the scene. Then a long stroll down to the sea.


After 27 days hiking, the Med!
At the station in Menton I get a sad glimpse of the 'real' world; French police searching the train coming from Italy for migrants. Then the train journey home and seeing my wife at the station in St Andre.

No comments:

Post a Comment