Monday, September 28, 2015

Day 26 - Belvedere to Sospel - Bushwhacking Blues

It looks near but it isn't...
The first part of my hike involved walking to La Bollene-Vesubie. It's essentially at the same altitude and is only 2 kms away (as the crow flies), but the guidebook allows 2 hr 20 minutes for the hike. It's basically bushwhacking on steep wooded hillsides, with lots of little climbs and descents to make progress and no views at all. After the open hiking in the mountains, it's quite a disappointment; like going from hiking in the desert to the jungle. I'm not a happy camper by the time I arrive at La Bollene-Vesubie.

Looking back when climbing the Col de Turini by road

Instead of continuing on the 'trail' to the Col de Turini, I decide to follow the road. It's not very aesthetic, but it's a big improvement; every 12 minutes I cover 1 km distance and climb 75m. A little over two hours later I'm having a nice lunch at the col and I've another decision to make - I can head north on trails to join the GR52 or I can continue on the road to Sospel. I decide to continue on the road, partly because it will allow me to finish the hike a day earlier. So it's more tarmac pounding for me, this time downhill. Late in the day my feet are getting sore and I accept a lift for the last bit into Sospel.   

I get installed in a hotel in Sospel - the Auberge Provencal. It's quite nice but overpriced. Anyway, tomorrow will be the last day of the hike and I feel I can treat myself a little bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment