Sunday, September 27, 2015

Day 25 - SDV to Belvedere - Decisions

There are two conventional ways to finish the GR5 hike from St Dalmas Valdeblore. You can stay on the GR5 and in 2 long and reputedly dull days reach Nice and the coast. Or you can finish using the GR52 which takes about 5 days (it heads back north for a day), crosses some wonderful terrain and arrives at Menton. The GR52 is supposed to be much better and gives a spectacular arrival at the Med but... the high altitude refuges close today (3 days earlier than I'd read) and while I could still do the hike, it's not that practical with lightweight gear. So I've decided on a 3rd option; I will follow the GR52A for a couple of days and then finish the hike on the GR52. 

There are actually 3 GRs going through St Dalmas Valdeblore; the GR5, the GR52 and the GR52A. It would be easy to follow a wrong set of red and white signs, so I pay attention! A long descent to St Martin de Vesubie and then a long, boring hike in the woods takes me to Belvedere. At Belvedere I get installed in a comfy gite (Les Condamines); after a shower I sit down on a sofa and realize to my surprise that it's the first time I've sat so comfortably for nearly a month! I go down to the village to eat and find a nice pizza place.

No comments:

Post a Comment